Friday, June 12, 2009

Mistaken Identity


This book has been out for quite awhile but I wanted to be "ready" to read it. This book is about the horrible accident that eventually lead to the mistaken identity of 2 Taylor University students-one surviving, one dying.

I was shaken when the news broke about the horrible accident located so close to where I live. I prayed for each family that had been affected by these fatalities and all the friends of those Taylor students/staff.

Then, the headlines came that the girl recovering in the hospital had been identified incorrectly at the accident scene. The family that had been caring for her, living at the hospital while she recovered, talking to her as their daughter, etc. was NOT the girl's family. As a mom, I simply couldn't grip what the families must be going thru. On one hand you have a family that already buried their daughter and had been grieving for her and now they had that daughter back. On the other hand you had a family that had been caring for their daughter for 5 weeks just to find out that their daughter had died on 4-26-06. If any person doubts the accuracy of this story, you need to read the book. The coroner, the medics, anyone else at the scene are not the only ones to blame for the mistake. The families don't blame them, and if anything they need our prayers for how much weight they carry on their shoulders since that night.

I read this book all in one night, I simply could not put it down. The lump in my throat was pretty much present the entire time, but I can tell you this for sure, this might be the best testimony I have ever read. From the parents, siblings, family friends, hospital staff, etc. these people had faith before, during, and after all of this.

When I lost my mom, I never questioned the existence of God. Not once during her very short cancer battle did I think for a second that I could handle it on my own. I knew without a doubt that God was leading me, carrying me, and holding me. I told people all the time that I could not imagine how people make it thru times like this without faith. How they were able to keep going and not go crazy!!?!?!?

Back to the book, without fail this book delivers a very compelling story.

2 comments:

Boswell said...

Thanks for the book review, Susie! Swayzee library has this, so I'm going to check it out for sure!!

Mom of Double A said...

Susie, I read the book too this winter...finishing it very quickly.
What a story!! So many mixtures of emotion.